Collaboration › Details
Russia (govt)–Domain Associates: venture capital, 201203– collab joint life science investments in US firms + Russian manufacturing facilities Rusnano
|Partner, 1st||Rusnano (OJSC Rusnano)|
|Partner, 2nd||Domain Associates LLC|
|Product 2||LIFE SCIENCES|
Rusnano. (3/6/12). "Press Release: Rusnano and Domain to Collaborate on Investments in Health Sciences Projects".
RUSNANO and Domain Associates, a U.S. venture capital firm specializing in leading-edge life sciences technologies, today announced a partnership that will spur modernization of the Russian healthcare market by bringing next-generation pharmaceuticals, medical devices and diagnostics to Russia.
RUSNANO and Domain have signed an investment agreement under which they will jointly invest in emerging life sciences technology companies, foster transfer of technology into Russia, and establish manufacturing facilities in Russia for production of advanced therapeutic products for the treatment of medical conditions including viral infections, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and others.
RUSNANO and Domain's venture capital funds will co-invest in approximately 20 US-based healthcare technology companies. Target companies will include groups developing innovative products in the fields of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices and other areas of life sciences, that have significant applications for patient populations in Russia, and that complement RUSNANO's focus on nanotechnology-based innovation.
RUSNANO and Domain will jointly establish a pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing facility in Russia that meets GMP standards. The joint venture will leverage the innovations created by Domain and RUSNANO's investment portfolio companies, and will obtain exclusive rights to manufacture and market products based on these innovations in Russia and the CIS.
RUSNANO and Domain's venture capital funds, together with other co-investors, are expected to invest approximately $760 million into portfolio companies and the manufacturing facility in Russia.
The joint venture will manage advanced-stage clinical trials in Russia of new pharmaceuticals and other products that will support regulatory approval of these products in Russia, the United States and other markets.
"Life sciences portfolio companies constitute approximately 20 percent of RUSNANO actual investments. We are working hard to spur development of innovative technologies in the Russian healthcare industry," said Anatoly Chubais, Chief Executive Officer of RUSNANO. "I am confident that this partnership will make a strong contribution toward driving innovation in the domestic pharmaceutical industry."
"We expect Domain's collaboration with RUSNANO to provide a significant boost to the modernization efforts of the Russian pharmaceutical and medical technology industry," said Brian Dovey, Partner at Domain. "For our portfolio companies, this strategic relationship opens up new attractive avenues for financing. Finally, we are excited about the commercial potential of establishing a cutting-edge production facility in Russia."
The partners have engaged Team Drive, a management company led by former Sistema and MTS CEO Leonid Melamed, to develop the project.
"RUSNANO's realization of this project will expedite the arrival of next-generation medicines to the Russian market, providing Russian patients with access to the most modern pharmaceuticals at the same time as other patients around the world, and in some cases earlier. In addition, this partnership is a big step forward for the Russian venture capital industry in the healthcare market. We are delighted that RUSNANO has selected our team to drive this promising initiative forward," commented Leonid Melamed, Chairman of Team Drive.
RUSNANO was founded in March 2011 as an open joint stock company through reorganization of state corporation Russian Corporation of Nanotechnologies. RUSNANO's mission is to develop the Russian nanotechnology industry through co-investment in nanotechnology projects with substantial economic potential or social benefit. The Government of the Russian Federation owns 100 percent of the shares in RUSNANO. Anatoly Chubais is CEO and chairman of the Executive Board of RUSNANO.
Work to establish nanotechnology infrastructure and training for nanotechnology specialists, formerly conducted by the Russian Corporation of Nanotechnologies, has been entrusted to the Fund for Infrastructure and Educational Programs, a non-commercial fund also established through reorganization of the Russian Corporation of Nanotechnologies.
Domain was founded in 1985, Domain Associates, L.L.C. is a venture capital firm with an exclusive focus on life sciences. With $2.4 billion of capital under management, Domain is headquartered in Princeton, NJ with a second office in San Diego, CA.
Domain's three major investment segments are pharmaceuticals, specialty pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, while additional areas of interest include biomaterials, bioinstrumentation, and diagnostics. The Partners of Domain have a total of close to 200 person-years of experience among them in the healthcare/venture capital industries and have been involved in the formation and growth of more than 235 life-sciences companies. The highly focused network, experience, and reputation of this team have made it one of the top private-equity groups participating in the healthcare field.
For more information, please visit www.domainvc.com
Team Drive was founded in 2011 by the team of professional managers who have high-profile prosperous experience in governing large corporations. Leonid Melamed (former president of JSFC "Sistema", CEO of OJSC "MTS") and Vladimir Gurdus (former CEO of CJSC "Medsi Group") are the founders of the company. Main competence of "Team Drive" is to implement progressive management strategies to maximize client's business value in dynamic, efficient and transparent manner, as well as creating maximum value for start-ups.
Record changed: 2015-02-01
More documents for Russia (govt)
-  Atlas Genetics Ltd.. (1/29/15). "Press Release: Atlas Genetics Completes $20m Series C Fundraising. Funds to Accelerate Global Launch of Atlas io Molecular Testing System". Bath....
-  High-Tech Gründerfonds Management GmbH. (10/31/14). "Press Release: MYR GmbH Announces 10 Million $ Financing Round after Successful Clinical Phase 2a". Bonn....
-  Selecta Biosciences, Inc.. (11/28/12). "Press Release: Selecta (RUS) LLC Becomes Rusnano’s First Foreign Portfolio Company in the Pharmaceutical Sector to Open a Research Center in Russia". Moscow....
-  Rusnano. (7/26/12). "Press Release: Nanolek Building Biotech Complex in Kirov Oblast"....
-  I2BF Global Ventures. (7/18/12). "Press Release: I2BF and Rusnano Capital Annouce Stratetgic Resources Fund". Moscow & London....
-  High-Tech Gründerfonds Management GmbH. (5/31/12). "Press Release: Germany. Start-up Country – Ready for Take-off? International Sharing Expertise at the Family Day 2012 on 20th June in Bonn". Bonn....
-  Bruker Corporation. (5/23/12). "Press Release: BEST Announces License and Technology Transfer Contract for 2G High-temperature Superconductors to Rosatom". Hanau....
-  Rusnano. (5/23/12). "Press Release: Rusnano Board of Directors Approves Company’s First Exit from Investment Project"....
-  RVC Russian Venture Capital. (3/27/12). "Press Release: RVC. Russian Venture Company Announces Renaming and Rebranding"....
-  High-Tech Gründerfonds Management GmbH. (3/21/12). "Press Release: Maxwell Biotech Venture Fund Invests in Hepatitis B/D Clinical Program. Co-invests with Germany’s Public/Private High-Tech Gründerfonds, One of Europe’s Top Venture Funds". Moscow & Bonn....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the European life sciences, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSE newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]